*Asian equities mixed with Nikkei posting gains despite regional tensions*
Asian equities were mixed in Monday trade despite heightened geopolitical tensions after a missile strike on a Syrian airfield last Friday ordered by President Donald Trump and a move by the U.S. military to send an aircraft carrier group near the Korean Peninsula in response to recent provocations by North Korea.
Trump said the strike targeted an airbase responsible for launching a chemical attack in northeast Syria earlier last week. The attack was launched while Trump was hosting Chinese President Xi Jinping at his Florida resort.
North Korea responded to the strike by stating that it was a justification for its own nuclear weapons program, adding that it had to protect itself against Washington’s “reckless moves for a war”. In turn, a U.S. Navy strike group is expected to move near the western Pacific Ocean and close to the Korean peninsula following North Korea’s multiple nuclear missile test launches this month.
The news did not weigh on Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 index, which bounced 0.77 percent. The ASX 200 was higher by 0.58 percent.
The Kospi was down by 0.52 percent, with China-exposed stocks pressured following heightened tensions in the Korean peninsula. PBOC weakens the Yuan reference rate to 6.9042 against the USD from 6.8949 a day earlier.
* Violence mars by-elections in Srinagar LS, MP Assembly seats (PTI)
* EC cancels TN Assembly bypoll over use of money power (PTI)
* Militants attack police station in Kulgam distt of Jammu & Kashmir (PTI)
* Will talk less, work more: Goa CM Parrikar (PTI)
* China offers concessions to avert trade war with US (FT)
* Trump removes McFarland from national security role (FT)
* US ramps up pressure on Russia over Syrian conflict (FT)
* EU considering excluding UK from trade talks before Brexit (FT)
* State of emergency in Egypt after church bombings kill 44 (var)
*==BUSINESS AND ECONOMY==*
* US FDA exempts some pdt of Divi Lab’s Vizag unit from import alert (Cogencis)
* India extends $4.5-bln line of credit to Dhaka for infra projects (Cogencis)
* Neuland Labs gets 2 observations from US FDA for Hyderabad unit 1 (Cogencis)
* NPPA issues notices to several cos for overcharging 613 drugs Jan (Cogencis)
* Central bank to mull Wed raising 5.83 bln rupees via share issue (Cogencis)
* Madhucon Projects JV gets 5.8-bln-rupee orders in Maharashtra (Cogencis)
* Axis Finance board to Tue mull raising 22 bln rupees via NCDs (Cogencis)
* SBI-led lenders sells Kingfisher Villa to JMJ Group vice chairman (Cogencis)
* Cosmo Films to start new speciality polyster production line FY19 (Cogencis)
* Odisha Mining Corp invites bids for excavation of chrome ore (Cogencis)
* Telangana, Andhra Pradesh truckers end strike after talks with govt(Cogencis)
* Bharat Electronics gets 8-bln-rupee sales tax demand notice (Cogencis)
* Secret recording implicates Bank of England in Libor (BBC)
* Wonga data breach ‘affects 245,000 in UK’ (BBC)
* Huishan Dairy dream sours for China tycoon Yang Kai (FT)
* Singapore’s DBS to boost private banking in London (FT)
* New evidence in Shell corruption probe (BBC)